London fire officials have determined a fire that broke out inside an east-end home Tuesday was electrical in nature.
Firefighters were called to the single-storey home at 961 Ormsby St., west of Hamilton Road and Egerton Street around 2:15 p.m.
"[When crews arrived] we had heavy smoke conditions in the area, going all over Hamilton Road and all into the Ormsby-area into the subdivision," said Platoon Chief Kirk Loveland. "Luckily, the fire crews did a great job knocking the fire down quickly because there were a lot of combustibles on scene that could have ignited if there hadn't been a quick response."
No injuries were reported.
Investigators determined the blaze started in the attached garage and spread to the home. The cause was electrical, Loveland said.
"Whenever you do electrical work you want an electrical contractor to come in and make sure it is Canadian Standards Association approved and properly installed," said Loveland. "I'm not suggesting it wasn't in this case, but that does help protect any homeowner from possibly having fires if all the electrical is up to code."
Damage is estimated at $100,000.