What started as a celebration at a rural property southeast of St. Thomas ended with a $1 million barn fire.
Emergency crews were called about the fire at a farm on Southdale Line in Central Elgin shortly after 11 p.m. on Sunday.
Investigators determined the owners of the property had been hosting a celebration when one of the fireworks in a private display accidentally tipped and launched into a nearby hay barn, Elgin OPP said.
The firework caused the dry hay to ignite quickly.
No injuries were reported, but damage to buildings and farm equipment has been estimated at $1 million.
Charges were not laid in relation to the mishap, police said.