In an effort to support workers and businesses, the Ontario government has announced the Ontario COVID-19 Small Business Relief Grant.The grant will provide a $10,000 payment to small businesses that have been subject to closure during the current public health measures.
Eligible small businesses include:
• Restaurants and bars
• Facilities for indoor sports and recreational fitness activities (including fitness centres and gyms)
• Performing arts and cinemas
• Museums, galleries, aquariums, zoos, science centres, landmarks, historic sites, botanical gardens, and similar attractions
• Meeting or event spaces
• Tour and guide services
• Conference centres and convention centres
• Driving instruction for individuals
• Before- and after- school programs
The government said in a statement that businesses that haven't fully closed down but are instead subject to 50 per cent capacity restrictions, don't qualify for this grant.
Eligible businesses that qualified for the Ontario Small Business Support Grant and that have had to close again will be pre-screened to verify eligibility and won't need to apply to the new program.
Newly established and newly eligible small businesses will need to apply once the application portal opens.
"Small businesses that qualify can expect to receive their payment in February," the government's statement read.
More information about the grant program and the business costs rebate program can be found on the provincial government's website.