Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder. Photo courtesy of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder. Photo courtesy of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Canada-wide recall issued for spice linked to restaurant poisoning

The spice at the centre of the food poisoning of a dozen people at a southern Ontario restaurant is being recalled.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) recalled Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder, which is also known as sand ginger powder, due to aconitine contamination. The affected product was sold in 454 gram packages with the product code of AT154 and UPC number 69 892102 8038. According to the national agency, the recalled keampferia galanga powder was sold in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, and Quebec, and may have been distributed in other provinces and territories.

The product is a common spice used in Asian cooking.

"The toxin, aconitine, comes from the roots of a plant, Monkshood, also known as Wolfsbane, or Keampfeira, which is a poisonous plant," the CFIA said in a statement. "Food contaminated with aconitine may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick."

People suffering from aconitine poisoning can exhibit symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, irregular heart beats, and in severe cases, death. Anyone who believes they have become sick after consuming the recalled product should seek medical treatment.

CFIA advises anyone who has purchased Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder not consume, use, sell, serve, or distribute it.

Twelve people required hospitalization Sunday after eating a chicken dish seasoned with the affected product at a Markham restaurant. Public health investigators said spice from the package used in those meals tested positive for aconite toxin.

Read More Local Stories