An SIU vehicle.  (File photo by Miranda Chant, Blackburn Media)An SIU vehicle. (File photo by Miranda Chant, Blackburn Media)

Second man charged in Kipps Lane murder, SIU investigating

On the same day it was announced a man charged with killing a 41-year-old and shooting two London police officers during the standoff that followed was hurt in the ordeal, charges were laid against a second suspect.

London police announced Tuesday afternoon 28-year-old Devon Ferguson-Feit of London has been arrested and charged with second degree murder in connection with the death of 41-year-old Joel Cameron.

Just hours before the charges were announced, the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) confirmed the other suspect in the case, Adrian Campbell, had suffered an injury.

Campbell was taken into custody Saturday night after a 12 hour long standoff that began when police were called to 621 Kipps Lane for an unresponsive man. Officers arrived at the building around 5 a.m. to find Cameron in a stairwell, suffering from multiple stab wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A suspect in Cameron’s death barricaded himself inside an upper level unit of the highrise. Police spent the next 12 hours negotiating with the man. It was during that time, two officers were hit with the same bullet while in the hallway of the apartment building. Both were taken to hospital where one has since been treated and released. The other remained there Monday with serious, non-life threatening injuries.

The suspect was arrested roughly an hour after the officers were shot and a long gun was seized. Campbell was charged a day later with second-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Acting Police Chief Trish McIntyre told the public Monday Campbell wasn't hurt and the SIU was not investigating.

"When our officers discharge a firearm, that would invoke the SIU. In this case, the only shot that was fired came from the accused at the police. So that does not invoke the SIU mandate," said McIntyre.

She added that when police arrested the 42-year-old they did so without "further injury to the officers or the accused himself."

However, it has now come to light that Campbell was hurt. The SIU confirms that while he was in police custody Campbell complained of pain and was taken to hospital on Sunday. While there he was diagnosed with an undisclosed injury which led the SIU to invoke its mandate. Campbell has since been released from hospital, the SIU said.

Three investigators have been assigned to the case. Anyone with information about this investigation is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. Video or photos of the incident can be submitted through the SIU's website.

The SIU is an independent government agency that probes all incidents involving police that have resulted in death, serious injury, or allegations of sexual assault.

Campbell, who has been remanded into custody, is scheduled to make his next court appearance March 20. Ferguson-Feit is to appear in court Tuesday.

Read More Local Stories